Monday, June 4, 2012

Favorite Things: for Excercise!

Back in January I set some goals for myself this year. I didn't want to call them resolutions per say, but I had a few things that I knew I wanted to work on in 2012. As per usual, exercise was at the top of the list. 

I go through periods of doing yoga on a regular basis, and I love it, but I've never been too keen on doing anything cardio related.  In fact, I don't consider myself athletic at all. I don't feel coordinated enough to take on tennis and I don't feel graceful enough to do any type of dance. I also have a hard time doing any type of cardio in the comfort of my own home because I have three little girls running around me almost all of the time. I am pretty sure that I will either step on one of them or trip over one of them mid-jumping jack and seriously injure myself if I do. They are awesome at sneaking up on me - ninja style - and I don't want to risk it, {or deal with their constant requests}, when I'm breathing hard enough that I don't want to/can't talk to anyone. 

So, here is the solution to my problem:
The Schwinn Turismo Swivel Double Jogger
I am in love with this stroller. I had a hard time finally buying it because I didn't want to spend the money on yet another stroller, and I didn't know if my two youngest kids would like it enough for me to get some good walking time in with it or not. Man, am I glad that I broke down and bought it! This stroller is now one of my best friends. It carries my kids for me - along with my water, tunes and even my wallet and reusable grocery bags, {in case I decide to make a stop at the market on my way home}. I love how easy it is to walk with. It turns well because of it's swivel front wheel and it just glides along very smoothly. I even love the bright red color that I decided to buy it in. 

The only cons I have regarding this stroller are: 1) I wish it folded down a little bit easier and smaller than it does. 2) There is a cross bar above the basket, (under the seats), that blocks me from putting bulkier items down there. And 3)The little speakers it came with are pretty cheap and pointless. I just turn my iPhone on and stick it in one of the cup holders. My kiddos and I can hear the music just fine when I do it this way. 

Part of me worried that I just wouldn't use it enough to justify spending the money on it, but it has definitely paid for itself in the 4 months or so that I have had it.  When I told my husband that I wanted to get one, I told him that "it was cheaper than therapy".  True story!  I would have spent way more money on a therapist in the last four months than I ended up spending on my stroller, so I'm glad I picked my Schwinn. : ) At least this way I get some exercise, my kids get to spend some more time out doors and I feel a lot better physically, emotionally and even spiritually when I've taken the time to get out and exercise. 

Regarding my goal, I haven't lost as much weight as I had wanted to by this point in the year, but I know I am gaining muscle, and I'll be really honest - I'm still not eating as well as I should be.  I also take a medication that causes some weight gain, so I'm trying not too be too hard on myself because I know that this comes into play too.  At this point, I am trying to walk about 10 miles each week and I am really proud f myself because in the last few weeks, I have actually started jogging some of the way. Me, jogging.  Never thought that would happen.  But I love it and it makes me feel really good. 

On Saturday our family participated in a 5K as part of an activity for our church and our Schwinn carried our two youngest girls.  Here is our happy little family {plus our neighbor in the grey shirt}, after the walk/run.  I was thrilled at the end of it because even though I only jogged some of it, I had my best pace time to date and my pace time was almost 4 minutes shorter than my average was when I started out walking.  I love seeing results!  It makes the hard work worth it and makes me want to keep trying harder.


What are your favorite ways to exercise? What exercise products can't you live without?  I'd love to hear about it.  I'm hoping to keep my momentum up and continue jogging and staying fit.  I always welcome suggestions and good ideas!

No comments: