Monday, October 13, 2008

Crock Pot Chicken Cordon Bleu

I got this great recipe from my friend Melanie a while back and finally made it for the first time last night. Since I couldn't find the recipe that I had written down, I did a quick search online and found one that has to be just about the same since I remembered most of it anyway. I tweaked both a little bit and it turned out really, really yummy! You gotta try it!
Crock pot Chicken Cordon Bleu
4 - 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
4 - 6 slices of ham
4 - 6 slices of swiss cheese
1/2 cup of bread crumbs
1 small can of cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup of milk
Pound the chicken to 1/4 inch thick. (I had really thick chicken breasts, so I just cut mine in half instead which gave me 2 pieces from each breast). Place a slice of ham and a slice of cheese on each chicken breast, roll it up and secure it with a toothpick. Place the rolled breasts in the bottom of a greased crock pot. Sprinkle bread crumbs over the top of the chicken. Stir together the soup and milk and then pour it over the top. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or until cooked through.
-OR- if you don't want to go through the trouble of rolling them up, you can layer the ingredients in this order (from the bottom up): Chicken, bread crumbs, ham, cheese and the can of soup and milk combined. Even easier and I'm sure just as good!
I had a few slices of ham and cheese left over so I threw them on top of the chicken and bread crumbs before I poured the soup mixture over, just to use them up. All of it was super yummy. I also made white rice to serve with it because one of the web sites I had looked at suggested it since it makes a good amount of sauce too. My husband was a little skeptical of the recipe but he's complimented it several times since we had it last night. Even the left overs were good today.
If you love your crock pot just as much as I do, you should check out this blog called Crockpot 365. It was started by a lady who decided to use her crock pot for 365 days straight and she posts all of the recipes on the blog. It's pretty cool! Enjoy!